Islander Salad (Insalata isolana)
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
Here, crisp lettuce is tossed with ripe tomatoes, potatoes, capers, basil and olives. Tomato juice is the secret ingredient in the dressing.
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head crisp lettuce, such as romaine or iceberg, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces (10 cups)
- 1 large ripe tomato, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 small new potatoes, cooked and cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and chopped
- 6 black olives, preferably Sicilian, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled ricotta salata, (see Note) or feta cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cover onions with very cold water in a small bowl and let soak for 10 minutes. Drain the onions and place them in a salad bowl, along with lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, basil, capers, olives and cheese.
- Whisk together tomato juice, oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Ricotta salata, a firm, salted ricotta, can be found at well-stocked cheese shops and Italian markets.
Per serving: 108 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 159 mg sodium; 498 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (116% daily value), Vitamin C (52% dv), Folate (36% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- May/June 1993