Islander Salad (Insalata isolana)
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
Here, crisp lettuce is tossed with ripe tomatoes, potatoes, capers, basil and olives. Tomato juice is the secret ingredient in the dressing.
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head crisp lettuce, such as romaine or iceberg, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces (10 cups)
- 1 large ripe tomato, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 small new potatoes, cooked and cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and chopped
- 6 black olives, preferably Sicilian, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled ricotta salata, (see Note) or feta cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cover onions with very cold water in a small bowl and let soak for 10 minutes. Drain the onions and place them in a salad bowl, along with lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, basil, capers, olives and cheese.
- Whisk together tomato juice, oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Ricotta salata, a firm, salted ricotta, can be found at well-stocked cheese shops and Italian markets.
Per serving: 108 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 159 mg sodium; 498 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (116% daily value), Vitamin C (52% dv), Folate (36% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1993