Islander Salad (Insalata isolana)
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
Here, crisp lettuce is tossed with ripe tomatoes, potatoes, capers, basil and olives. Tomato juice is the secret ingredient in the dressing.
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head crisp lettuce, such as romaine or iceberg, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces (10 cups)
- 1 large ripe tomato, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 small new potatoes, cooked and cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and chopped
- 6 black olives, preferably Sicilian, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled ricotta salata, (see Note) or feta cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cover onions with very cold water in a small bowl and let soak for 10 minutes. Drain the onions and place them in a salad bowl, along with lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, basil, capers, olives and cheese.
- Whisk together tomato juice, oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Ricotta salata, a firm, salted ricotta, can be found at well-stocked cheese shops and Italian markets.
Per serving: 108 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 159 mg sodium; 498 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (116% daily value), Vitamin C (52% dv), Folate (36% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- May/June 1993