Islander Salad (Insalata isolana)
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
Here, crisp lettuce is tossed with ripe tomatoes, potatoes, capers, basil and olives. Tomato juice is the secret ingredient in the dressing.
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head crisp lettuce, such as romaine or iceberg, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces (10 cups)
- 1 large ripe tomato, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 small new potatoes, cooked and cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and chopped
- 6 black olives, preferably Sicilian, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled ricotta salata, (see Note) or feta cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cover onions with very cold water in a small bowl and let soak for 10 minutes. Drain the onions and place them in a salad bowl, along with lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, basil, capers, olives and cheese.
- Whisk together tomato juice, oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Ricotta salata, a firm, salted ricotta, can be found at well-stocked cheese shops and Italian markets.
Per serving: 108 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 159 mg sodium; 498 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (116% daily value), Vitamin C (52% dv), Folate (36% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1993