Islander Salad (Insalata isolana)
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
Here, crisp lettuce is tossed with ripe tomatoes, potatoes, capers, basil and olives. Tomato juice is the secret ingredient in the dressing.
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head crisp lettuce, such as romaine or iceberg, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces (10 cups)
- 1 large ripe tomato, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 small new potatoes, cooked and cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and chopped
- 6 black olives, preferably Sicilian, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled ricotta salata, (see Note) or feta cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cover onions with very cold water in a small bowl and let soak for 10 minutes. Drain the onions and place them in a salad bowl, along with lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, basil, capers, olives and cheese.
- Whisk together tomato juice, oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Ricotta salata, a firm, salted ricotta, can be found at well-stocked cheese shops and Italian markets.
Per serving: 108 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 159 mg sodium; 498 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (116% daily value), Vitamin C (52% dv), Folate (36% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- May/June 1993