Island Red Beans (Habichuelas Coloradas Grandes)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Cilantro, chiles and garlic add rich flavor to kidney beans in this Puerto Rican staple. Leftovers are wonderful reheated for lunch.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 Anaheim or poblano chile peppers, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup packed finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 4 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, rinsed (see Dried Bean Variation)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-3 cups water
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic, chile peppers, onion and cilantro and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add beans, tomato sauce, oregano, pepper and salt; stir to combine. Add 1 to 3 cups water. (Usually the beans are covered by at least 1 inch of water. The more “wet” you like your beans, the more water you should add.) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Serve sprinkled with cilantro, if desired. Dried Bean Variation: To use dried beans instead of canned beans, sort 1 pound red kidney beans, discarding any debris. overnight soak: Rinse beans and place in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and let soak for at least 8 hours or overnight; drain. quick soak: Rinse beans and place in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 221 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 15 g fiber; 616 mg sodium; 691 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September/October 2007