Island Red Beans (Habichuelas Coloradas Grandes)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Cilantro, chiles and garlic add rich flavor to kidney beans in this Puerto Rican staple. Leftovers are wonderful reheated for lunch.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 Anaheim or poblano chile peppers, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup packed finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 4 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, rinsed (see Dried Bean Variation)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-3 cups water
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic, chile peppers, onion and cilantro and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add beans, tomato sauce, oregano, pepper and salt; stir to combine. Add 1 to 3 cups water. (Usually the beans are covered by at least 1 inch of water. The more “wet” you like your beans, the more water you should add.) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Serve sprinkled with cilantro, if desired. Dried Bean Variation: To use dried beans instead of canned beans, sort 1 pound red kidney beans, discarding any debris. overnight soak: Rinse beans and place in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and let soak for at least 8 hours or overnight; drain. quick soak: Rinse beans and place in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 221 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 15 g fiber; 616 mg sodium; 691 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2007