Island Red Beans (Habichuelas Coloradas Grandes)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Cilantro, chiles and garlic add rich flavor to kidney beans in this Puerto Rican staple. Leftovers are wonderful reheated for lunch.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 Anaheim or poblano chile peppers, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup packed finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 4 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, rinsed (see Dried Bean Variation)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-3 cups water
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic, chile peppers, onion and cilantro and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add beans, tomato sauce, oregano, pepper and salt; stir to combine. Add 1 to 3 cups water. (Usually the beans are covered by at least 1 inch of water. The more “wet” you like your beans, the more water you should add.) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Serve sprinkled with cilantro, if desired. Dried Bean Variation: To use dried beans instead of canned beans, sort 1 pound red kidney beans, discarding any debris. overnight soak: Rinse beans and place in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and let soak for at least 8 hours or overnight; drain. quick soak: Rinse beans and place in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 221 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 15 g fiber; 616 mg sodium; 691 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2007