Island Red Beans (Habichuelas Coloradas Grandes)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Cilantro, chiles and garlic add rich flavor to kidney beans in this Puerto Rican staple. Leftovers are wonderful reheated for lunch.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 Anaheim or poblano chile peppers, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup packed finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 4 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, rinsed (see Dried Bean Variation)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-3 cups water
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic, chile peppers, onion and cilantro and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add beans, tomato sauce, oregano, pepper and salt; stir to combine. Add 1 to 3 cups water. (Usually the beans are covered by at least 1 inch of water. The more “wet” you like your beans, the more water you should add.) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Serve sprinkled with cilantro, if desired. Dried Bean Variation: To use dried beans instead of canned beans, sort 1 pound red kidney beans, discarding any debris. overnight soak: Rinse beans and place in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and let soak for at least 8 hours or overnight; drain. quick soak: Rinse beans and place in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 221 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 15 g fiber; 616 mg sodium; 691 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2007