Irish Soda Bread
Fragrant homemade whole-wheat bread that is ready in less than 1 hour. The recipe is easily doubled.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, plus additional for brushing
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a pie pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in currants and caraway seeds. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Gradually pour in the buttermilk, stirring with a fork until just combined. (Do not overmix.)
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times. Form into a ball, flatten slightly and place in the prepared pie pan. Brush the top with buttermilk and dust with flour. With a sharp knife, cut a 1/2-inch-deep X into the top of the loaf.
- Bake the loaf until it is brown on top and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly before slicing.
Per slice: 131 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 327 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- St Patrick's Day