Irish Soda Bread
Fragrant homemade whole-wheat bread that is ready in less than 1 hour. The recipe is easily doubled.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, plus additional for brushing
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a pie pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in currants and caraway seeds. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Gradually pour in the buttermilk, stirring with a fork until just combined. (Do not overmix.)
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times. Form into a ball, flatten slightly and place in the prepared pie pan. Brush the top with buttermilk and dust with flour. With a sharp knife, cut a 1/2-inch-deep X into the top of the loaf.
- Bake the loaf until it is brown on top and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly before slicing.
Per slice: 131 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 327 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- St Patrick's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique