Irish Soda Bread
Fragrant homemade whole-wheat bread that is ready in less than 1 hour. The recipe is easily doubled.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, plus additional for brushing
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a pie pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in currants and caraway seeds. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Gradually pour in the buttermilk, stirring with a fork until just combined. (Do not overmix.)
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times. Form into a ball, flatten slightly and place in the prepared pie pan. Brush the top with buttermilk and dust with flour. With a sharp knife, cut a 1/2-inch-deep X into the top of the loaf.
- Bake the loaf until it is brown on top and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly before slicing.
Per slice: 131 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 327 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- St Patrick's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique