Irish Lamb Stew
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
Lamb stew is Irish penicillin: a rich stew full of potatoes, leeks and carrots that'll cure whatever ails you. In traditional fashion, nothing here is browned first, just all stewed together. To keep it healthy make sure to trim the lamb of any visible fat before you cook it.
- 2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 3/4 pounds white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 large leeks, white part only, halved, washed (see Tip) and thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Combine lamb, potatoes, leeks, carrots, celery, broth, thyme, salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker; stir to combine. Put the lid on and cook on low until the lamb is fork-tender, about 8 hours. Stir in parsley before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. | Equipment: 6-quart slow cooker
- Tip: To clean leeks, trim and discard green tops and white roots. Split leeks lengthwise and place in plenty of water. Swish the leeks in the water to release any sand or soil. Drain. Repeat until no grit remains.
Per serving: 266 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 4 g fiber; 427 mg sodium; 803 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (139% daily value), Vitamin C (26% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Folate & Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetables, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- St Patrick's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- February/March 2006