Insalata Mista with Buttermilk-Chive Dressing
A simple “mixed salad” is irresistible with our healthful version of everybody's favorite buttermilk dressing.
- 1 clove garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tarragon vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon honey, or sugar
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large or 2 small heads butterhead lettuce, (Bibb or Boston), torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- To prepare dressing: Skewer garlic clove with a fork. Place mayonnaise in a small bowl. Using the skewered garlic to stir, gradually blend in buttermilk (or yogurt), oil, vinegar and honey (or sugar). Gently stir in chives (or scallions). Season with salt and pepper. Leave the garlic in the dressing until ready to toss salad, then discard.
- To prepare salad: Just before serving, combine lettuce, mushrooms and carrots in a large salad bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat well. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 79 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 137 mg sodium; 364 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique