Insalata Mista with Buttermilk-Chive Dressing
A simple “mixed salad” is irresistible with our healthful version of everybody's favorite buttermilk dressing.
- 1 clove garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tarragon vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon honey, or sugar
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large or 2 small heads butterhead lettuce, (Bibb or Boston), torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- To prepare dressing: Skewer garlic clove with a fork. Place mayonnaise in a small bowl. Using the skewered garlic to stir, gradually blend in buttermilk (or yogurt), oil, vinegar and honey (or sugar). Gently stir in chives (or scallions). Season with salt and pepper. Leave the garlic in the dressing until ready to toss salad, then discard.
- To prepare salad: Just before serving, combine lettuce, mushrooms and carrots in a large salad bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat well. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 79 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 137 mg sodium; 364 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique