Insalata Mista with Buttermilk-Chive Dressing
A simple “mixed salad” is irresistible with our healthful version of everybody's favorite buttermilk dressing.
- 1 clove garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tarragon vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon honey, or sugar
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large or 2 small heads butterhead lettuce, (Bibb or Boston), torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- To prepare dressing: Skewer garlic clove with a fork. Place mayonnaise in a small bowl. Using the skewered garlic to stir, gradually blend in buttermilk (or yogurt), oil, vinegar and honey (or sugar). Gently stir in chives (or scallions). Season with salt and pepper. Leave the garlic in the dressing until ready to toss salad, then discard.
- To prepare salad: Just before serving, combine lettuce, mushrooms and carrots in a large salad bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat well. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 79 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 137 mg sodium; 364 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique