Insalata Mista with Buttermilk-Chive Dressing
A simple “mixed salad” is irresistible with our healthful version of everybody's favorite buttermilk dressing.
- 1 clove garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tarragon vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon honey, or sugar
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large or 2 small heads butterhead lettuce, (Bibb or Boston), torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- To prepare dressing: Skewer garlic clove with a fork. Place mayonnaise in a small bowl. Using the skewered garlic to stir, gradually blend in buttermilk (or yogurt), oil, vinegar and honey (or sugar). Gently stir in chives (or scallions). Season with salt and pepper. Leave the garlic in the dressing until ready to toss salad, then discard.
- To prepare salad: Just before serving, combine lettuce, mushrooms and carrots in a large salad bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat well. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 79 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 137 mg sodium; 364 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique