Insalata Mista with Buttermilk-Chive Dressing
A simple “mixed salad” is irresistible with our healthful version of everybody's favorite buttermilk dressing.
- 1 clove garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tarragon vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon honey, or sugar
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large or 2 small heads butterhead lettuce, (Bibb or Boston), torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- To prepare dressing: Skewer garlic clove with a fork. Place mayonnaise in a small bowl. Using the skewered garlic to stir, gradually blend in buttermilk (or yogurt), oil, vinegar and honey (or sugar). Gently stir in chives (or scallions). Season with salt and pepper. Leave the garlic in the dressing until ready to toss salad, then discard.
- To prepare salad: Just before serving, combine lettuce, mushrooms and carrots in a large salad bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat well. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 79 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 137 mg sodium; 364 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique