Indonesian Tofu Satés
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Here we skewer and broil cubes of extra-firm tofu and serve them with peanut sauce for a vegetarian version of the popular Indonesian street food. The accompanying peanut sauce is filled with exquisite sweet, hot and salty flavors but omits the often-used coconut milk, which is high in saturated fat. This flexible recipe works with tofu or chicken. If serving a group with some vegetarians and some meat eaters, prepare half chicken and half tofu and marinate them separately.
- 1/4 cup kecap manis, (see Ingredient Note)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 21 ounces (about 1 1/2 packages) extra-firm water-packed tofu, patted dry and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Combine kecap manis, soy sauce, garlic, oil, vinegar, cumin and coriander in a small bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the marinade in a medium bowl. Place tofu in a large sealable plastic bag. Pour the remaining marinade into the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Add peanut butter, water, ketchup and hot sauce to taste to the reserved marinade and whisk to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Line a broiler pan or baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade and thread equal amounts onto six 12-inch skewers. (If using wooden skewers, cover the exposed end of each skewer with foil to prevent burning.) Broil the skewers until the tofu is heated through, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Serve the satés with the reserved peanut sauce for dipping.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 up to 1 day ahead. | Equipment: Six 12-inch skewers
- Ingredient note: Kecap manis is a thick, palm sugar-sweetened soy sauce. It's used as a flavoring, marinade or condiment in Indonesian cooking. Find it in Asian food markets or online at importfood.com. To substitute for kecap manis, whisk 1 part molasses with 1 part reduced-sodium soy sauce.
Per serving: 232 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 2 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 37 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 2008
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)