Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis)
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
This Indonesian version of soy sauce is thicker, sweeter and more complex than what you're used to. Try sautéeing green beans with ginger and a dash of kecap manis.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 10-ounce bottle reduced-sodium soy sauce, (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Half-fill a large bowl with water and ice cubes and set it beside the stove.
- Combine sugar and water in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Once it starts boiling, cook without stirring until syrup turns amber, 5 to 10 minutes. Immediately set saucepan in ice water for about 30 seconds.
- Add soy sauce, star anise and garlic to cooled caramel. Return pan to medium-high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Discard garlic. Transfer to a jar (sterilized if keeping longer than 1 week) and let mellow overnight in the refrigerator before using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per tablespoon: 54 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 534 mg sodium; 29 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 1997