Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis)
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
This Indonesian version of soy sauce is thicker, sweeter and more complex than what you're used to. Try sautéeing green beans with ginger and a dash of kecap manis.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 10-ounce bottle reduced-sodium soy sauce, (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Half-fill a large bowl with water and ice cubes and set it beside the stove.
- Combine sugar and water in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Once it starts boiling, cook without stirring until syrup turns amber, 5 to 10 minutes. Immediately set saucepan in ice water for about 30 seconds.
- Add soy sauce, star anise and garlic to cooled caramel. Return pan to medium-high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Discard garlic. Transfer to a jar (sterilized if keeping longer than 1 week) and let mellow overnight in the refrigerator before using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per tablespoon: 54 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 534 mg sodium; 29 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1997