Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis)
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
This Indonesian version of soy sauce is thicker, sweeter and more complex than what you're used to. Try sautéeing green beans with ginger and a dash of kecap manis.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 10-ounce bottle reduced-sodium soy sauce, (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Half-fill a large bowl with water and ice cubes and set it beside the stove.
- Combine sugar and water in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Once it starts boiling, cook without stirring until syrup turns amber, 5 to 10 minutes. Immediately set saucepan in ice water for about 30 seconds.
- Add soy sauce, star anise and garlic to cooled caramel. Return pan to medium-high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Discard garlic. Transfer to a jar (sterilized if keeping longer than 1 week) and let mellow overnight in the refrigerator before using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per tablespoon: 54 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 534 mg sodium; 29 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- July/August 1997