Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis)
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
This Indonesian version of soy sauce is thicker, sweeter and more complex than what you're used to. Try sautéeing green beans with ginger and a dash of kecap manis.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 10-ounce bottle reduced-sodium soy sauce, (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Half-fill a large bowl with water and ice cubes and set it beside the stove.
- Combine sugar and water in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Once it starts boiling, cook without stirring until syrup turns amber, 5 to 10 minutes. Immediately set saucepan in ice water for about 30 seconds.
- Add soy sauce, star anise and garlic to cooled caramel. Return pan to medium-high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Discard garlic. Transfer to a jar (sterilized if keeping longer than 1 week) and let mellow overnight in the refrigerator before using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per tablespoon: 54 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 534 mg sodium; 29 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- July/August 1997