Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis)
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
This Indonesian version of soy sauce is thicker, sweeter and more complex than what you're used to. Try sautéeing green beans with ginger and a dash of kecap manis.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 10-ounce bottle reduced-sodium soy sauce, (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Half-fill a large bowl with water and ice cubes and set it beside the stove.
- Combine sugar and water in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Once it starts boiling, cook without stirring until syrup turns amber, 5 to 10 minutes. Immediately set saucepan in ice water for about 30 seconds.
- Add soy sauce, star anise and garlic to cooled caramel. Return pan to medium-high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Discard garlic. Transfer to a jar (sterilized if keeping longer than 1 week) and let mellow overnight in the refrigerator before using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per tablespoon: 54 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 534 mg sodium; 29 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- July/August 1997