Individual Brussels Sprout & Potato Frittatas
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Brussels sprouts and preshredded potatoes make these oversized muffin-shaped frittatas hearty. They’re as good served warm for dinner as they are at room temperature for lunch. Pair with a mixed green salad with cherry tomatoes and buttermilk dressing.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups refrigerated preshredded potatoes
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16-ounce container liquid egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat four 10-ounce ovenproof ramekins with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, Brussels sprouts, onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Divide the mixture among the prepared ramekins.
- Whisk egg substitute, cheese, milk, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the potato mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven. Bake until the eggs are set and an instant-read thermometer inserted in a frittata registers 160°F, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Four 10-ounce ovenproof ramekins
Per serving: 209 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 3 g fiber; 666 mg sodium; 622 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (75% daily value), Folate (28% dv), Vitamin A (24% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 2012