Individual Brussels Sprout & Potato Frittatas
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Brussels sprouts and preshredded potatoes make these oversized muffin-shaped frittatas hearty. They’re as good served warm for dinner as they are at room temperature for lunch. Pair with a mixed green salad with cherry tomatoes and buttermilk dressing.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups refrigerated preshredded potatoes
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16-ounce container liquid egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat four 10-ounce ovenproof ramekins with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, Brussels sprouts, onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Divide the mixture among the prepared ramekins.
- Whisk egg substitute, cheese, milk, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the potato mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven. Bake until the eggs are set and an instant-read thermometer inserted in a frittata registers 160°F, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Four 10-ounce ovenproof ramekins
Per serving: 209 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 3 g fiber; 666 mg sodium; 622 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (75% daily value), Folate (28% dv), Vitamin A (24% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- January/February 2012