Individual Brussels Sprout & Potato Frittatas
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Brussels sprouts and preshredded potatoes make these oversized muffin-shaped frittatas hearty. They’re as good served warm for dinner as they are at room temperature for lunch. Pair with a mixed green salad with cherry tomatoes and buttermilk dressing.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups refrigerated preshredded potatoes
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16-ounce container liquid egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat four 10-ounce ovenproof ramekins with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, Brussels sprouts, onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Divide the mixture among the prepared ramekins.
- Whisk egg substitute, cheese, milk, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the potato mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven. Bake until the eggs are set and an instant-read thermometer inserted in a frittata registers 160°F, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Four 10-ounce ovenproof ramekins
Per serving: 209 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 3 g fiber; 666 mg sodium; 622 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (75% daily value), Folate (28% dv), Vitamin A (24% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2012