Individual Brussels Sprout & Potato Frittatas
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Brussels sprouts and preshredded potatoes make these oversized muffin-shaped frittatas hearty. They’re as good served warm for dinner as they are at room temperature for lunch. Pair with a mixed green salad with cherry tomatoes and buttermilk dressing.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups refrigerated preshredded potatoes
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16-ounce container liquid egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat four 10-ounce ovenproof ramekins with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, Brussels sprouts, onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Divide the mixture among the prepared ramekins.
- Whisk egg substitute, cheese, milk, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the potato mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven. Bake until the eggs are set and an instant-read thermometer inserted in a frittata registers 160°F, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Four 10-ounce ovenproof ramekins
Per serving: 209 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 3 g fiber; 666 mg sodium; 622 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (75% daily value), Folate (28% dv), Vitamin A (24% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2012