Indian Vegetable Stew
Sweet sautéed onions and a rich mixture of spices create a complex, flavorful base for this extraordinary vegetarian stew.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large onions, coarsely chopped (4 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 pound mini carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt, (optional)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until fragrant and beginning to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add cumin seed, ground cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom and cayenne; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Add potatoes, water and salt; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes and carrots; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally and adding 1/2 cup water, if needed, until the potatoes and the carrots are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Serve with yogurt, if desired.
Per serving: 264 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 10 g fiber; 604 mg sodium; 997 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (53% daily value), Fiber (40% dv), Folate (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient