Indian Vegetable Stew
Sweet sautéed onions and a rich mixture of spices create a complex, flavorful base for this extraordinary vegetarian stew.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large onions, coarsely chopped (4 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 pound mini carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt, (optional)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until fragrant and beginning to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add cumin seed, ground cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom and cayenne; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Add potatoes, water and salt; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes and carrots; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally and adding 1/2 cup water, if needed, until the potatoes and the carrots are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Serve with yogurt, if desired.
Per serving: 264 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 10 g fiber; 604 mg sodium; 997 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (53% daily value), Fiber (40% dv), Folate (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient