Indian-Spiced Stuffed Eggplant
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
Lots of Indian spices flavor these stuffed eggplants. They can be a complete meal, but if you are feeling extra energetic, make this dish part of a multicourse Indian feast along with curried vegetables, basmati rice, yogurt salad and some Indian breads. As a side dish, plan on one-quarter of an eggplant per person.
- 1/2 cup brown rice, preferably brown basmati
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 medium eggplants, (about 1 pound each)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 12 ounces ground bison
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala, (see Note)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bring rice and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer at the lowest bubble until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut eggplants in half lengthwise and score the cut sides in a deep criss-cross pattern, almost to but not cutting through the skin. Brush the cut sides generously with 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons oil. Brush the skin sides lightly with 1 teaspoon oil. Place the eggplants cut-side down on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip the eggplants and bake until soft, 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add onion. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the onion starts to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add bison, paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala and cayenne to taste; cook, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until the bison is coated with spices and no longer pink, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. Remove from heat.
- When the eggplants are cool enough to handle, scoop out the pulp, making sure not to tear the skin. It’s best to leave about a 1/4- to 1/2-inch layer of pulp attached to the skin. Coarsely chop the scooped-out pulp and add to the meat mixture. Stir until well combined. Stir in the cooked rice and season with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Stuff each eggplant half with equal amounts of the filling.
- Return the stuffed eggplant to the baking sheet. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. To serve, bake at 350Â°F until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Note: Garam masala is a blend of spices used in Indian cooking, usually including cardamom, black pepper, cloves, nutmeg, fennel, cumin and coriander. Garam masala is available in the spice section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 475 calories; 24 g fat (5 g sat, 11 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 12 g fiber; 485 mg sodium; 745 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Potassium (21% dv), Iron, Magnesium & Vitamin A (20% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2009