Indian-Spiced Kale & Chickpeas
Chickpeas make this exotic dish a terrific player in any vegetarian menu.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1 1/2 pounds kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala, (see Ingredient note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add kale and cook, tossing with two large spoons, until bright green, about 1 minute. Add broth, coriander, cumin, garam masala and salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas; cover and cook until the chickpeas are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: A 1- to 1 1/2-pound bunch of kale yields 16 to 24 cups of chopped leaves. When preparing kale for these recipes, remove the tough ribs, chop or tear the kale as directed, then wash it--allowing some water to cling to the leaves. The moisture helps steam the kale during the first stages of cooking.
- Ingredient Note: Garam masala, a ground spice mixture traditionally including coriander, cumin, cinnamon, peppercorns, cardamom and cloves, is commonly used in Indian cooking. Find it in the specialty-spice section of large supermarkets.
Per serving: 202 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 6 g fiber; 415 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1.5 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique