Indian-Spiced Kale & Chickpeas
Chickpeas make this exotic dish a terrific player in any vegetarian menu.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1 1/2 pounds kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala, (see Ingredient note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add kale and cook, tossing with two large spoons, until bright green, about 1 minute. Add broth, coriander, cumin, garam masala and salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas; cover and cook until the chickpeas are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: A 1- to 1 1/2-pound bunch of kale yields 16 to 24 cups of chopped leaves. When preparing kale for these recipes, remove the tough ribs, chop or tear the kale as directed, then wash it--allowing some water to cling to the leaves. The moisture helps steam the kale during the first stages of cooking.
- Ingredient Note: Garam masala, a ground spice mixture traditionally including coriander, cumin, cinnamon, peppercorns, cardamom and cloves, is commonly used in Indian cooking. Find it in the specialty-spice section of large supermarkets.
Per serving: 202 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 6 g fiber; 415 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1.5 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique