Indian-Spiced Eggplant & Cauliflower Stew
Eggplant, cauliflower, chickpeas and tomatoes are the basis for this rich Indian-spiced curry. Make it a meal: Serve with brown basmati rice or whole-wheat couscous.
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, preferably hot Madras (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala, (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1-pound eggplant, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt, (optional)
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add curry powder, garam masala and mustard seeds and toast, stirring, until the spices begin to darken, about 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Add oil, onion, garlic, ginger and salt to the pot and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in eggplant, cauliflower, tomatoes, chickpeas, water and the reserved spices. Bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Top each serving with a dollop of yogurt, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Hot Madras curry powder, located in the spice aisle of most supermarkets, adds a pleasant level of heat. Substitute regular curry powder for a milder flavor.
- Tip: Garam masala is a flavorful, fragrant blend of dry-roasted ground spices. It's in the spice section of most supermarkets and specialty stores.
Per serving: 198 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 8 g fiber; 605 mg sodium; 358 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient