Indian-Spiced Eggplant & Cauliflower Stew
Eggplant, cauliflower, chickpeas and tomatoes are the basis for this rich Indian-spiced curry. Make it a meal: Serve with brown basmati rice or whole-wheat couscous.
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, preferably hot Madras (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala, (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1-pound eggplant, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt, (optional)
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add curry powder, garam masala and mustard seeds and toast, stirring, until the spices begin to darken, about 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Add oil, onion, garlic, ginger and salt to the pot and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in eggplant, cauliflower, tomatoes, chickpeas, water and the reserved spices. Bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Top each serving with a dollop of yogurt, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Hot Madras curry powder, located in the spice aisle of most supermarkets, adds a pleasant level of heat. Substitute regular curry powder for a milder flavor.
- Tip: Garam masala is a flavorful, fragrant blend of dry-roasted ground spices. It's in the spice section of most supermarkets and specialty stores.
Per serving: 198 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 8 g fiber; 605 mg sodium; 358 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient