Indian Spice Marinade
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Here we combine traditional Indian spices like cumin, coriander, mustard and paprika with yogurt and lime for a tangy marinade. Marinate seafood in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to one hour, or chicken for as long as eight hours.
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- Toast cumin, coriander and mustard seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind to a fine powder. Add paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and turmeric.
- Combine yogurt, lime juice, onions, garlic and ginger in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Add spices and pulse to combine.
Per teaspoon: 3 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 19 mg sodium; 8 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- July/August 1994