Indian Spice Marinade
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Here we combine traditional Indian spices like cumin, coriander, mustard and paprika with yogurt and lime for a tangy marinade. Marinate seafood in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to one hour, or chicken for as long as eight hours.
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- Toast cumin, coriander and mustard seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind to a fine powder. Add paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and turmeric.
- Combine yogurt, lime juice, onions, garlic and ginger in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Add spices and pulse to combine.
Per teaspoon: 3 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 19 mg sodium; 8 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- July/August 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)