Indian Spice Marinade
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Here we combine traditional Indian spices like cumin, coriander, mustard and paprika with yogurt and lime for a tangy marinade. Marinate seafood in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to one hour, or chicken for as long as eight hours.
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- Toast cumin, coriander and mustard seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind to a fine powder. Add paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and turmeric.
- Combine yogurt, lime juice, onions, garlic and ginger in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Add spices and pulse to combine.
Per teaspoon: 3 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 19 mg sodium; 8 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994