Hungarian Apple Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This savory apple soup for two gets body from Yukon Gold potatoes and a touch of heat from paprika. Float some cocktail shrimp or a mound of lump crabmeat in each bowl to make it a main course.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup diced peeled Yukon Gold potato
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery, plus leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- Pinch of paprika, preferably hot Hungarian
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add apple, potato, onion and celery; cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt, sage, paprika and pepper; cook for 30 seconds. Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and gently simmer until the potato is tender when pierced with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a large blender or food processor, add sour cream and process until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Garnish with celery leaves, if desired.
Per serving: 190 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 411 mg sodium; 182 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Cooking for 2
- Type of Dish
- Eastern European/Russian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 2007