Hungarian Apple Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This savory apple soup for two gets body from Yukon Gold potatoes and a touch of heat from paprika. Float some cocktail shrimp or a mound of lump crabmeat in each bowl to make it a main course.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup diced peeled Yukon Gold potato
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery, plus leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- Pinch of paprika, preferably hot Hungarian
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add apple, potato, onion and celery; cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt, sage, paprika and pepper; cook for 30 seconds. Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and gently simmer until the potato is tender when pierced with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a large blender or food processor, add sour cream and process until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Garnish with celery leaves, if desired.
Per serving: 190 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 411 mg sodium; 182 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Cooking for 2
- Type of Dish
- Eastern European/Russian
- September/October 2007