Hungarian Apple Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This savory apple soup for two gets body from Yukon Gold potatoes and a touch of heat from paprika. Float some cocktail shrimp or a mound of lump crabmeat in each bowl to make it a main course.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup diced peeled Yukon Gold potato
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery, plus leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- Pinch of paprika, preferably hot Hungarian
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add apple, potato, onion and celery; cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt, sage, paprika and pepper; cook for 30 seconds. Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and gently simmer until the potato is tender when pierced with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a large blender or food processor, add sour cream and process until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Garnish with celery leaves, if desired.
Per serving: 190 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 411 mg sodium; 182 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Cooking for 2
- Type of Dish
- Eastern European/Russian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 2007
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)