Hungarian Apple Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This savory apple soup for two gets body from Yukon Gold potatoes and a touch of heat from paprika. Float some cocktail shrimp or a mound of lump crabmeat in each bowl to make it a main course.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup diced peeled Yukon Gold potato
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery, plus leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- Pinch of paprika, preferably hot Hungarian
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add apple, potato, onion and celery; cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt, sage, paprika and pepper; cook for 30 seconds. Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and gently simmer until the potato is tender when pierced with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a large blender or food processor, add sour cream and process until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Garnish with celery leaves, if desired.
Per serving: 190 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 411 mg sodium; 182 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Cooking for 2
- Type of Dish
- Eastern European/Russian
- September/October 2007