From EatingWell: May/June 1994
As the name implies, this dish makes a breakfast suitable for any cowboy, but for those with a less physically demanding occupation, it is perfect for brunch or a simple dinner.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3-5 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 scallion, trimmed and chopped
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add roasted red peppers, tomato and garlic; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes have softened, about 4 minutes. Add black beans, vinegar and hot pepper sauce; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Soften tortillas by heating them directly on a stovetop burner for about 30 seconds, turning frequently. Place the tortillas side by side on a heatproof dish. Spoon half of the bean mixture over each tortilla.
- Wipe out the pan, brush with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and heat over medium heat. Crack eggs into the pan and break the yolks with a fork. Cook over medium heat until whites are set, about 1 minute. Flip eggs and cook until desired doneness. Place an egg on each tortilla. Top with salsa and cheese and broil until the cheese melts. Garnish with scallions and serve immediately.
Per serving: 431 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 226 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 10 g fiber; 920 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1994