From EatingWell: May/June 1994
As the name implies, this dish makes a breakfast suitable for any cowboy, but for those with a less physically demanding occupation, it is perfect for brunch or a simple dinner.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3-5 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 scallion, trimmed and chopped
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add roasted red peppers, tomato and garlic; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes have softened, about 4 minutes. Add black beans, vinegar and hot pepper sauce; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Soften tortillas by heating them directly on a stovetop burner for about 30 seconds, turning frequently. Place the tortillas side by side on a heatproof dish. Spoon half of the bean mixture over each tortilla.
- Wipe out the pan, brush with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and heat over medium heat. Crack eggs into the pan and break the yolks with a fork. Cook over medium heat until whites are set, about 1 minute. Flip eggs and cook until desired doneness. Place an egg on each tortilla. Top with salsa and cheese and broil until the cheese melts. Garnish with scallions and serve immediately.
Per serving: 431 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 226 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 10 g fiber; 920 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1994