From EatingWell: May/June 1994
As the name implies, this dish makes a breakfast suitable for any cowboy, but for those with a less physically demanding occupation, it is perfect for brunch or a simple dinner.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3-5 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 scallion, trimmed and chopped
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add roasted red peppers, tomato and garlic; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes have softened, about 4 minutes. Add black beans, vinegar and hot pepper sauce; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Soften tortillas by heating them directly on a stovetop burner for about 30 seconds, turning frequently. Place the tortillas side by side on a heatproof dish. Spoon half of the bean mixture over each tortilla.
- Wipe out the pan, brush with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and heat over medium heat. Crack eggs into the pan and break the yolks with a fork. Cook over medium heat until whites are set, about 1 minute. Flip eggs and cook until desired doneness. Place an egg on each tortilla. Top with salsa and cheese and broil until the cheese melts. Garnish with scallions and serve immediately.
Per serving: 431 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 226 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 10 g fiber; 920 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1994