From EatingWell: May/June 1994
As the name implies, this dish makes a breakfast suitable for any cowboy, but for those with a less physically demanding occupation, it is perfect for brunch or a simple dinner.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3-5 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 scallion, trimmed and chopped
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add roasted red peppers, tomato and garlic; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes have softened, about 4 minutes. Add black beans, vinegar and hot pepper sauce; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Soften tortillas by heating them directly on a stovetop burner for about 30 seconds, turning frequently. Place the tortillas side by side on a heatproof dish. Spoon half of the bean mixture over each tortilla.
- Wipe out the pan, brush with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and heat over medium heat. Crack eggs into the pan and break the yolks with a fork. Cook over medium heat until whites are set, about 1 minute. Flip eggs and cook until desired doneness. Place an egg on each tortilla. Top with salsa and cheese and broil until the cheese melts. Garnish with scallions and serve immediately.
Per serving: 431 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 226 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 10 g fiber; 920 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1994