From EatingWell: May/June 1994
As the name implies, this dish makes a breakfast suitable for any cowboy, but for those with a less physically demanding occupation, it is perfect for brunch or a simple dinner.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3-5 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 scallion, trimmed and chopped
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add roasted red peppers, tomato and garlic; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes have softened, about 4 minutes. Add black beans, vinegar and hot pepper sauce; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Soften tortillas by heating them directly on a stovetop burner for about 30 seconds, turning frequently. Place the tortillas side by side on a heatproof dish. Spoon half of the bean mixture over each tortilla.
- Wipe out the pan, brush with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and heat over medium heat. Crack eggs into the pan and break the yolks with a fork. Cook over medium heat until whites are set, about 1 minute. Flip eggs and cook until desired doneness. Place an egg on each tortilla. Top with salsa and cheese and broil until the cheese melts. Garnish with scallions and serve immediately.
Per serving: 431 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 226 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 10 g fiber; 920 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1994