Hot & Sour Slaw
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
This slaw, a combination of cabbage, red bell pepper, scallions and bamboo shoots, is tossed with a dressing full of the classic flavors of Chinese hot-and-sour soup. Serve with grilled pork tenderloin and a glass of Riesling.
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 3 cups shredded napa or green cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions
- 1 8-ounce can bamboo shoots, drained and thinly sliced
- Whisk vinegar, soy sauce, oil, ginger, white pepper and crushed red pepper in a large bowl. Add cabbage, bell pepper, scallions and bamboo shoots; toss to coat.
Per serving: 64 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 112 mg sodium; 189 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2008