Hot & Sour Slaw
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
This slaw, a combination of cabbage, red bell pepper, scallions and bamboo shoots, is tossed with a dressing full of the classic flavors of Chinese hot-and-sour soup. Serve with grilled pork tenderloin and a glass of Riesling.
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 3 cups shredded napa or green cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions
- 1 8-ounce can bamboo shoots, drained and thinly sliced
- Whisk vinegar, soy sauce, oil, ginger, white pepper and crushed red pepper in a large bowl. Add cabbage, bell pepper, scallions and bamboo shoots; toss to coat.
Per serving: 64 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 112 mg sodium; 189 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 2008