Hot & Sour Okra Pickles
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
These awesome habanero-spiced pickled okra are the perfect crunchy treat to turn anyone on to the beauty of this underappreciated vegetable.
- 2 pounds okra, left whole (about 12 cups)
- 6 whole habanero peppers
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar or cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Bring a large pot of water to a boil in a large pot. Add half of the okra, cover, return to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the okra to the ice water to cool. Repeat with the remaining okra.
- Drain the cooled okra and divide among 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids. Add 1 habanero to each jar.
- Combine vinegar, 3 cups water, salt and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully fill jars (or containers) with brine to within 1/2 inch of the rim, covering the okra completely. (Discard any leftover brine.)
- Place the lids on the jars (or containers). Refrigerate for at least 1 week before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month. | Equipment: 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids
Per 1/4-cup serving: 8 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 54 mg sodium; 76 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 2010