Hot & Sour Carrots
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
The hot-and-sour sauce on these quick sautéed carrots is not for the timid palate. They have an abundance of bold, spicy flavor. Try them with steamed white fish and brown rice.
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon black bean-garlic sauce (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound carrots (5-6 medium), cut lengthwise into 3-by-1/4-inch sticks
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- Combine vinegar and black bean-garlic sauce in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add carrots, onion and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the sauce and cook, stirring, until the vinegar has evaporated, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Black bean-garlic sauce, a savory, salty sauce used in Chinese cooking, is made from fermented black soybeans, garlic and rice wine. Find it in the Asian-foods section of most supermarkets or at Asian markets. Refrigerate for up to 1 year.
Per serving: 92 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 388 mg sodium; 368 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (339% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2009