Hot & Sour Carrots
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
The hot-and-sour sauce on these quick sautéed carrots is not for the timid palate. They have an abundance of bold, spicy flavor. Try them with steamed white fish and brown rice.
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon black bean-garlic sauce (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound carrots (5-6 medium), cut lengthwise into 3-by-1/4-inch sticks
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- Combine vinegar and black bean-garlic sauce in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add carrots, onion and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the sauce and cook, stirring, until the vinegar has evaporated, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Black bean-garlic sauce, a savory, salty sauce used in Chinese cooking, is made from fermented black soybeans, garlic and rice wine. Find it in the Asian-foods section of most supermarkets or at Asian markets. Refrigerate for up to 1 year.
Per serving: 92 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 388 mg sodium; 368 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (339% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2009