Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
Serve this dense, fudgy pudding cake with vanilla frozen yogurt.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pecan halves, toasted (see Tip)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups hot strong coffee
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Combine milk, egg, oil and vanilla in a glass measuring cup. Make a well in center of the dry ingredients and gradually pour in the milk mixture, stirring until combined. Stir in pecans. Spoon into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Dissolve brown sugar in coffee; spoon over batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes; serve hot or warm.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast pecan halves: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per serving: 142 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 204 mg sodium; 114 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1991