Hortopitta (Pie of Assorted Greens)
From EatingWell: November/December 1990
Mixed greens, scallions, feta and lots of fresh herbs fill this flaky Greek pie.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed greens, (chard, dandelion, escarole, spinach), washed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large scallions, with green tops, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh fennel leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 8 ounces feta cheese, finely crumbled (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons uncooked rice
- To make dough: Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour and 1 teaspon salt in a large bowl. Beat 1 egg in a separate bowl and stir in 2/3 cup milk, 2 tablespoons oil and the yeast mixture. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the liquid; mix with a wooden spoon, stirring until mixture comes together and forms a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking. Shape the dough into a ball, place it in a lightly oiled bowl and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth and set in a warm place for about 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- To make filling: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add greens, return to a boil and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, refresh in cold water, squeeze out moisture and chop greens finely. Place them in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat and fry scallions, fennel, dill and parsley until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir into the greens, along with feta, 1/3 cup milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Mix well, taste and adjust seasonings. Mix in 2 eggs and rice.
- To assemble: Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Punch down dough and divide into 2 balls, one slightly larger than the other. Roll out the larger ball on a lightly floured surface into a 12-by-16-inch rectangle. Place in the prepared dish. Press the dough up the sides and spread the filling evenly throughout.
- Roll out the remaining dough, place it over the top of the dish and pinch the edges of the top and bottom crusts together. Bake until crusts are crisp and golden, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 321 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 4 g fiber; 781 mg sodium; 450 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (56% daily value), Folate (34% dv), Vitamin C (28% dv), Iron (11% dv), Calcium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- November/December 1990