Horseradish-Crusted Beef Tenderloin
From EatingWell: December 2006
Luxurious beef tenderloin shines when treated to a simple horseradish-mustard rub and roasted for a nicely seared and flavorful crust. Add 5 to 10 minutes to the roasting time for well done.
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 pounds trimmed beef tenderloin, preferably center-cut (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- Creamy Horseradish Sauce (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine horseradish, oil and mustard in a small bowl. Rub tenderloin with salt and pepper; coat with the horseradish mixture. Tie with kitchen string in 3 places. Transfer to a small roasting pan.
- Roast until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the tenderloin registers 140°F for medium-rare, 35 to 45 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; let rest for 5 minutes. Remove the string. Slice and serve with Creamy Horseradish Sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Kitchen string
- Note: You'll need 2 pounds of trimmed tenderloin for this recipe. Ask your butcher to remove the extra fat, silver skin and the chain (a lumpy, fat-covered piece of meat that runs along the tenderloin). If you buy untrimmed tenderloin, start with about 2 1/2 pounds, then use a sharp knife to trim the silver skin, fat and chain.
Per serving: 220 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 334 mg sodium; 364 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (41% daily value), Zinc (31% dv).
Exchanges: 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006