Horseradish-Crusted Beef Tenderloin
From EatingWell: December 2006
Luxurious beef tenderloin shines when treated to a simple horseradish-mustard rub and roasted for a nicely seared and flavorful crust. Add 5 to 10 minutes to the roasting time for well done.
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 pounds trimmed beef tenderloin, preferably center-cut (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- Creamy Horseradish Sauce (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine horseradish, oil and mustard in a small bowl. Rub tenderloin with salt and pepper; coat with the horseradish mixture. Tie with kitchen string in 3 places. Transfer to a small roasting pan.
- Roast until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the tenderloin registers 140°F for medium-rare, 35 to 45 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; let rest for 5 minutes. Remove the string. Slice and serve with Creamy Horseradish Sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Kitchen string
- Note: You'll need 2 pounds of trimmed tenderloin for this recipe. Ask your butcher to remove the extra fat, silver skin and the chain (a lumpy, fat-covered piece of meat that runs along the tenderloin). If you buy untrimmed tenderloin, start with about 2 1/2 pounds, then use a sharp knife to trim the silver skin, fat and chain.
Per serving: 220 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 334 mg sodium; 364 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (41% daily value), Zinc (31% dv).
Exchanges: 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006