Honeyed Couscous Pudding
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
This quick take on rice pudding is flavored with honey and orange zest. Dates had a rich, sweet flavor.
- 3/4 cup chopped pitted dates
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 cup plain or whole-wheat couscous
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon for dusting pudding
- 2 tablespoons chopped skinned pistachios, (optional)
- Put dates in a small bowl. Add boiling water to cover. Cover the bowl and set aside.
- Heat milk, honey, cinnamon stick and orange zest in a saucepan over medium-high heat until nearly simmering. Stir in couscous and vanilla, remove from the heat and cover. Let stand until most of the milk has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Drain the dates and stir them into the couscous. To serve, spoon into bowls and sprinkle with ground cinnamon and pistachios, if using. Variation: Instead of oatmeal for breakfast, make Honeyed Couscous Pudding with half the honey. Garnish with some nonfat yogurt or a spoonful of orange marmalade.
Per serving: 239 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 51 mg sodium; 339 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 milk, 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1996