Honeyed Couscous Pudding
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
This quick take on rice pudding is flavored with honey and orange zest. Dates had a rich, sweet flavor.
- 3/4 cup chopped pitted dates
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 cup plain or whole-wheat couscous
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon for dusting pudding
- 2 tablespoons chopped skinned pistachios, (optional)
- Put dates in a small bowl. Add boiling water to cover. Cover the bowl and set aside.
- Heat milk, honey, cinnamon stick and orange zest in a saucepan over medium-high heat until nearly simmering. Stir in couscous and vanilla, remove from the heat and cover. Let stand until most of the milk has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Drain the dates and stir them into the couscous. To serve, spoon into bowls and sprinkle with ground cinnamon and pistachios, if using. Variation: Instead of oatmeal for breakfast, make Honeyed Couscous Pudding with half the honey. Garnish with some nonfat yogurt or a spoonful of orange marmalade.
Per serving: 239 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 51 mg sodium; 339 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 milk, 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1996