Honey Mustard-Vidalia Dipping Sauce
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This honey-mustard dipping sauce spiked with plenty of onion is delicious with oven-fried chicken or slathered on a steak sandwich. The secret to a creamy, emulsified dressing is mustard. Mustard helps thicken liquid sauces by absorbing some of the liquid and allows the suspension of one liquid in another. If Vidalia onions are unavailable, use another sweet onion, such as Walla Walla or Texas Sweet. Half of one gives this sauce big onion flavor; if you like something more subtle, try a quarter of an onion instead.
- 1/2 Vidalia or other sweet onion, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Place onion in a food processor fitted with a metal blade and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Add vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper; process until smooth. With the motor running, add oil through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream until the mixture is thick and well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning with more honey, salt and/or pepper, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Serve at room temperature.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 117 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2011