Honey Mustard-Vidalia Dipping Sauce
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This honey-mustard dipping sauce spiked with plenty of onion is delicious with oven-fried chicken or slathered on a steak sandwich. The secret to a creamy, emulsified dressing is mustard. Mustard helps thicken liquid sauces by absorbing some of the liquid and allows the suspension of one liquid in another. If Vidalia onions are unavailable, use another sweet onion, such as Walla Walla or Texas Sweet. Half of one gives this sauce big onion flavor; if you like something more subtle, try a quarter of an onion instead.
- 1/2 Vidalia or other sweet onion, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Place onion in a food processor fitted with a metal blade and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Add vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper; process until smooth. With the motor running, add oil through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream until the mixture is thick and well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning with more honey, salt and/or pepper, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Serve at room temperature.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 117 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 2 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2011