Honey-Mustard Tofu Tenders
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
Panko-breaded tofu “tenders” are finger-licking crunchy in this family-friendly tofu recipe. We love the sweet and tangy honey-mustard dipping sauce recipe that goes with it, but feel free to use your favorite dip. No poultry seasoning on hand? Make your own by combining equal amounts of dried sage, thyme, marjoram, black pepper, crushed rosemary and crushed celery seed.
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus 1/8 teaspoon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut tofu block in half crosswise. Cut each piece in half horizontally, then cut each stack crosswise again into 5 “tenders.” (You will have 20 strips, 2 inches by 1 inch.) Pat the tofu dry with paper towels.
- Combine eggs, hot sauce (if using), garlic powder and poultry seasoning in a shallow dish. Combine panko, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in another shallow dish. Dip the tofu strips into the egg, then coat with the panko mixture. (Discard any leftover egg and panko.) Arrange the tofu in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Generously coat the tofu with cooking spray.
- Bake the tofu for 10 minutes. Flip the tenders over and continue baking until crisp and golden, about 10 minutes more. Immediately sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Meanwhile, whisk yogurt, mustard, honey and lemon juice in a small bowl. Serve the tofu with the dipping sauce.
Per serving: 225 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 13 g added sugars; 14 g total sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 369 mg sodium; 62 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- March/April 2014