Honey-Mustard Roast Chicken with Winter Vegetables
Root vegetables and honey-mustard-glazed chicken are roasted together for layer upon layer of intense flavor, with very little added fat. If your parsnips are large and have spongy or woody centers, cut out the cores before slicing.
- 6 small all-purpose potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, cut into wedges
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch slices
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled, quartered lengthwise and cut into 2-inch slices
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2-3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin removed
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, plus 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Combine potatoes, carrots, parsnips, garlic and oil in the roasting pan. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; toss well. Season chicken with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and place, skinned-side down, in the center of the pan with rosemary sprigs. Sprinkle with chopped rosemary. Roast the chicken and vegetables for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mustard and honey in a small bowl.
- Turn the chicken over and stir the vegetables. Brush the chicken with honey-mustard mixture. Continue roasting, stirring vegetables once or twice, until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, 25 to 35 minutes more. (If the chicken is done before the vegetables, remove and keep warm while vegetables finish cooking.) Serve immediately.
Per serving: 474 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 130 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 46 g protein; 9 g fiber; 363 mg sodium; 1697 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (207% daily value), Vitamin C (85% dv), Potassium (48% dv), Selenium (47% dv), Fiber (34% dv), Magnesium (30% dv), Folate (25% dv), Zinc (24% dv), Iron (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique