Honey-Mustard Roast Chicken with Winter Vegetables
Root vegetables and honey-mustard-glazed chicken are roasted together for layer upon layer of intense flavor, with very little added fat. If your parsnips are large and have spongy or woody centers, cut out the cores before slicing.
- 6 small all-purpose potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, cut into wedges
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch slices
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled, quartered lengthwise and cut into 2-inch slices
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2-3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin removed
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, plus 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Combine potatoes, carrots, parsnips, garlic and oil in the roasting pan. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; toss well. Season chicken with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and place, skinned-side down, in the center of the pan with rosemary sprigs. Sprinkle with chopped rosemary. Roast the chicken and vegetables for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mustard and honey in a small bowl.
- Turn the chicken over and stir the vegetables. Brush the chicken with honey-mustard mixture. Continue roasting, stirring vegetables once or twice, until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, 25 to 35 minutes more. (If the chicken is done before the vegetables, remove and keep warm while vegetables finish cooking.) Serve immediately.
Per serving: 474 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 130 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 46 g protein; 9 g fiber; 363 mg sodium; 1697 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (207% daily value), Vitamin C (85% dv), Potassium (48% dv), Selenium (47% dv), Fiber (34% dv), Magnesium (30% dv), Folate (25% dv), Zinc (24% dv), Iron (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique