Honey-Mustard Roast Chicken with Winter Vegetables
Root vegetables and honey-mustard-glazed chicken are roasted together for layer upon layer of intense flavor, with very little added fat. If your parsnips are large and have spongy or woody centers, cut out the cores before slicing.
- 6 small all-purpose potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, cut into wedges
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch slices
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled, quartered lengthwise and cut into 2-inch slices
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2-3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin removed
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, plus 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Combine potatoes, carrots, parsnips, garlic and oil in the roasting pan. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; toss well. Season chicken with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and place, skinned-side down, in the center of the pan with rosemary sprigs. Sprinkle with chopped rosemary. Roast the chicken and vegetables for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mustard and honey in a small bowl.
- Turn the chicken over and stir the vegetables. Brush the chicken with honey-mustard mixture. Continue roasting, stirring vegetables once or twice, until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, 25 to 35 minutes more. (If the chicken is done before the vegetables, remove and keep warm while vegetables finish cooking.) Serve immediately.
Per serving: 474 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 130 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 46 g protein; 9 g fiber; 363 mg sodium; 1697 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (207% daily value), Vitamin C (85% dv), Potassium (48% dv), Selenium (47% dv), Fiber (34% dv), Magnesium (30% dv), Folate (25% dv), Zinc (24% dv), Iron (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique