Honey-Mustard Roast Chicken with Winter Vegetables
Root vegetables and honey-mustard-glazed chicken are roasted together for layer upon layer of intense flavor, with very little added fat. If your parsnips are large and have spongy or woody centers, cut out the cores before slicing.
- 6 small all-purpose potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, cut into wedges
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch slices
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled, quartered lengthwise and cut into 2-inch slices
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2-3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin removed
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, plus 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Combine potatoes, carrots, parsnips, garlic and oil in the roasting pan. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; toss well. Season chicken with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and place, skinned-side down, in the center of the pan with rosemary sprigs. Sprinkle with chopped rosemary. Roast the chicken and vegetables for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mustard and honey in a small bowl.
- Turn the chicken over and stir the vegetables. Brush the chicken with honey-mustard mixture. Continue roasting, stirring vegetables once or twice, until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, 25 to 35 minutes more. (If the chicken is done before the vegetables, remove and keep warm while vegetables finish cooking.) Serve immediately.
Per serving: 474 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 130 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 46 g protein; 9 g fiber; 363 mg sodium; 1697 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (207% daily value), Vitamin C (85% dv), Potassium (48% dv), Selenium (47% dv), Fiber (34% dv), Magnesium (30% dv), Folate (25% dv), Zinc (24% dv), Iron (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique