Honey-Crunch Ice Cream
Drizzle with a little caramel sauce for an even tastier treat.
Honey-Crunch Ice Cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To make honey crunch: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a small baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix honey, butter, milk, brown sugar and vanilla in a small bowl until blended. With a fork, stir in Grape-Nuts until well coated. Spread in a thin layer in the prepared baking pan. Bake, stirring once or twice, for 5 minutes, or until the cereal has darkened and bubbling has subsided. Spread on a plate and let cool completely. Break up any large clumps and set aside.
- To make ice cream: Mix milk, condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl until blended. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Stir lemon juice and salt into the chilled ice cream mixture. Freeze in an ice-cream maker, following the manufacturer's directions. Halfway through freezing, when ice cream begins to thicken, sprinkle in the honey crunch and continue freezing. If necessary, let the ice cream harden in the freezer for 30 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the honey crunch (Steps 1-2) in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Store the ice cream (Steps 3-4) in a resealable plastic container in the freezer for up to 4 days.
- Use Grape-Nuts to add low-fat crunch to other dessert recipes and toppings.
Per serving: 268 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 219 mg sodium; 737 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less