Honey-Crunch Ice Cream
Drizzle with a little caramel sauce for an even tastier treat.
Honey-Crunch Ice Cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To make honey crunch: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a small baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix honey, butter, milk, brown sugar and vanilla in a small bowl until blended. With a fork, stir in Grape-Nuts until well coated. Spread in a thin layer in the prepared baking pan. Bake, stirring once or twice, for 5 minutes, or until the cereal has darkened and bubbling has subsided. Spread on a plate and let cool completely. Break up any large clumps and set aside.
- To make ice cream: Mix milk, condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl until blended. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Stir lemon juice and salt into the chilled ice cream mixture. Freeze in an ice-cream maker, following the manufacturer's directions. Halfway through freezing, when ice cream begins to thicken, sprinkle in the honey crunch and continue freezing. If necessary, let the ice cream harden in the freezer for 30 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the honey crunch (Steps 1-2) in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Store the ice cream (Steps 3-4) in a resealable plastic container in the freezer for up to 4 days.
- Use Grape-Nuts to add low-fat crunch to other dessert recipes and toppings.
Per serving: 268 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 219 mg sodium; 737 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less